I’ve been grumpy lately, it’s true.
I avowed this week to be better, it’s also true. Especially after a much needed run (lack of exercise kills me) and my man making it home safe and sound.
Motivation today at work is nonexistent and procrastination is king.
I recently discovered November (among other things) is Native American Heritage Month after watching Geronimo the other night and this has sent me into all sorts of tangents. I’m part Cherokee. My grandmother used to tell me she could live on the reservation (why would you want to) if she so chose. I’ve never (sadly) explored this part of my heritage to any great extent. All I know are bits and pieces taking me to altogether different tangents.
I have a great deal of curiosity about my heritage, as well as Geronimo, since he was held for some time at Fort Pickens. I also hold true the fact the Fort is haunted.
***The seven pointed star in the center of the Cherokee Seal represents the seven Cherokee clans. The wreath of oak leaves symbolizes the sacred fire which the Cherokees kept burning in their land. Oak was traditionally burned
* Bird Clan were messengers and also very skilled in using blowguns for bird hunting. Eagle feathers were presented by them to other members of the tribe because they were only ones able to collect them. They were the keepers of the birds. Their color is Purple, and their wood is Maple.
*Blue Clan were keepers of childrens medicine and of medicinal herbs. They were named after a plant called a blue holly, which they used for medicine. This Clan has also been known as the Wild Cat Clan or Panther. They were known as a peace clan. Their color is Blue and their wood is Ash.
* Deer Clan were fast runners and delivered messengers from village to village, or person to person and were excellent hunters and trackers. They were known as a peace clan. Their color is Brown and their wood is Oak
* Paint Clan were the smallest and most secretive clan, and the only ones that were allowed to make a special red paint and dye that are used for ceremonial purposes and war. Their color is White, and their wood is Locust
* Twister Clan also known as Long Hair Clan It is said that those belonging to this clan wore their hair twisted or in braided hairdos. The peace chiefs usually came from this clan and wore a white feather robe. Their members were teachers and keepers of tradition. Their color is Yellow and their wood is Beech
* Wild Potato Clan were farmers and gatherers of wild potato plants. They used them to make flour for bread. They were keepers and protectors of the earth. Also known as the Raccoon or Clan Bear Clan. Their color is Green and their wood is Birch.
* Wolf Clan is the most prominent clan, providing most of the war chiefs, and warriors. They were the protectors of the people and were known as a warrior clan. Their color is Red and their wood is Hickory.